I like making games.
My approach may be somewhat academic in the sense that I started making games to test scientific theses related to human perception.
However, when it comes down to it, it is all about the fun!
Bachlor thesis at Medialogy: Bringing Direct Social Interaction to Computer Games.
In this project we did a lot of research in the social factors in play and gaming. We established a framework for describing the immersive factors in a game and tested the framework with a computer augmented card game that displayed the players’ stats in a pseudo–holographic display, which enabled face–to–face communication while following the displayed stats.
How can we improve the advantages of a board game with the technologies provided by a computer?
When the tendency of playing games becomes an asocial thing, it is a scream to the developers to change the course.
The ever growing and impressive features of computer games have long suppressed the power of conventional games. The still fast development in technologies allow for still more extraordinary graphic engines. But what is happening to good old tabletop games.
We have delved into this aspect and investigated the relation between immersion and socialization as a method to create a relation between the idea of board games and the power of computers.
A bachelor thesis about direct social interaction in multiplayer games. The Petri³ is pronounced “petri cube”.
The Petri³ was a tool for my bachelor thesis at medialogy, with which we tested the degree of direct social interaction in an immersive augmented reality multiplayer card game. Besides playing around with cool next gen tech, we wanted to see how people responded to digitally augmentation of a card game. We ended up with a contraption that tracked a card game with image recognition and displayed the game’s status on a holographic display.
There were several elements in the project. The card game, which was an extremely simplified flavor of the mechanics from the Munchkin games. A game tracking engine that read the cards when played and kept track of scores for the players. Lastly the pseudo-holographic display, which we made out of a truncated pyramid in plexiglass with a back light projection on the top.
My first DADIU production was called Hængerøv and was made in Source SDK using Lua, C++ and Visual Studio 2005. The production took place May 2007.
The game was a 3D platformer where you would play a young boy, that accidentally broke his sister’s new cell phone while secretly tampering with it in his tree house one night. The objective is to collect the missing buttons while evading the furious sister who threatens to embarrass you by showing a picture of your bare bottom to the entire school, but that is not all.
The dark garden is a treacherous place to sneak around. Garden gnomes have come to life and they yodel awfully loud when tripped over, and that is what your sister is waiting for, so she can find you and take your picture.
Your parents aren’t of much help as they are having a garden party. Empty wine bottles can also give up your position, and so can the (not-so-scary-almost-pathetic) ghosts that are haunting the garden.
Fortunately you are armed with your Bug Vacuum Gun, that can suck up the ghost. The downside of it is that it attracts your sister’s attention as well.
The only chance of avoiding total embarrassment is to return the fixed mobile to your sister before her boyfriend calls her.